Blackout

Blackout

The latest completed project I've worked on is sort of a horror game, inspired by the games Outlast and Soma. It's a 3D first person game about escaping from something that has been released from containment.
In this project I worked mostly on nodes in our scripting system, and a little bit with animation. I made among other things, a spawn prefab node and a spawn emitter node. I also made it possible to change the environment light on runtime via ImGui. This project was to me challenging, but I find that it's the challenging projects that I have learned the most. There are a lot of different technical things to work with and around when making a 3D first person game and our engine was starting to get a bit big and messy and in desperate need for a re-factorization. But there was no time for it so it just had to make do without it.
A few things I worked on:
  •  Vaulting animation
  • Switching shader files on runtime to see normals, albedo, metalness, roughness, emissive, ambient occlusion and PBR
  • Making nodes for the scripting system
  • Finding the right place to trigger an event to match an animation to make it look like the handle is pulled on a door.
  • Exposing menu images to JSON file.
Because of Corona this project was abruptly paused for two weeks, and later continued at home. This of course affected the project because we had to find new ways to work together apart from each other. This is difficult but at the same time a valuable learning experience to find other means of communication and  routine that works for me and the team.
For example we used a voice channel for each discipline that we could just hang out in all day. This made us more easily available for the other members in the team when someone was needed, or to ask each other for help. At least it made the distance between us a little bit smaller.